Friday, September 14, 2012

1st Year as a Volunteer


The next new group of volunteers are in the midst of their apprentice training at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  It's been nearly a year since v and I joined and began this magical journey.  Recruitment now occurs twice a year, spring and fall.  

Yesterday we were delighted to act as personal guides for a group of friends of ours from out of town. I am amazed at how far I've come since joining the aquarium. A year ago I was only sure I could tell a fish from a dog.  Now I'm able to interpret the life cycle of jellies, explain that sea cucumbers, sea stars, and sea urchins are related, and direct folks, without hesitation to the nearest restroom.  I have great pleasure introducing children to living sea creatures and helping them look through a window at that very special world under the waves.

When we go tide pooling, or just walking along the shore, we see so much more than we ever saw before. We can identify things that we never even noticed before such as the egg case of a Moon Snail encrusted with broken shells, and corals.



I have links included in my links list to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Blog and to their website as well as MBARI (Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute) where amazing videos can be viewed.  v's favorite is the Mimic Octopus.  Check it out. 

In bocca al lupo.  m & v


2 comments: