Friday, October 11, 2013

Fallen Apples


So many apples, so little time.  Or so it seems.  I planted apple trees out in the front garden when I first moved into this little Victorian.  I'm allergic to raw apples, but I find the trees so beautiful I had to have them.  On our little city lot, a very small city lot in fact, we have what is defined as an orchard here now.  Five or more fruit trees constitutes an orchard.  We have four apples, that I've planted, two sour cherries that we planted, and a lovely old apricot tree that we've been told was probably planted when the house was built in the 1870's.  It's been tentatively identified as a Blenheim Apricot.  It produces such sweet apricots that I'd almost think they were some strain of peach.  A few summers ago one of the large branches broke off. The following summer we discovered many little seedlings had sprouted around where that branch had fallen.  v chose what he deemed the best of the lot and has been nurturing it ever since.  We are hoping to see blossoms next spring, it's grown to be taller than either of us. Fingers crossed.

In bocca al lupo.  m & v

No comments:

Post a Comment