Friday, February 14, 2014

Compost


Just because things are, sometimes, impossibly sad here it doesn't mean I should let things go.  The garden has been a bit neglected over the past year and now we have a drought to contend with.  So, even though it's foggy and cold, I decided it's time to turn the compost. Better to do this on a cold day anyway.

Turning compost creates tiny dramas (well, tiny to me, I suppose it's as big as it gets for the ants and sow bugs)

It looks like the last moments of the Titanic whenever the compost is sifted into the wheelbarrow.


I was just noticing how much the sow bugs look like Lined Chitons except they don't raise part of the shell.  It's so nice to be able to compare the aquarium animals to the garden varieties.  It's a form of continuity.

I ventured back to the aquarium the other evening and it felt great, but also a bit emotionally treacherous.  There are still folks who aren't aware that v is gone and ask, cheerfully, why he isn't with me.  It's hard, but I really don't want to miss some of my favorite subjects that are lectured on every week during the current Guide Class. Guide Class is one of the best, best, best offerings to volunteers at the aquarium. I have v to thank for helping me step up and join.

In bocca al lupo.  m



No comments:

Post a Comment