Monday, June 18, 2012

Custard Cups



V was pretty sick a couple of years ago. He needed something he could eat without difficulty that would keep up his energy and his weight.  Custard came to mind, or was put there.  I've made so much custard since that summer I can make it in my sleep. The basic recipe came from my trusty old Joy of Cooking inherited from my father. It all mixes within a few seconds in the blender. Don't start 'til the oven is ready.


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

2 cups milk
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 whole eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Blend all ingredients. Pour into baking dish or individual custard cups. Place dish or cups into a pan of hot water on a rack, or in a heavy ceramic baking dish. Bake an hour or more for the casserole and 20 to 30 minutes for the cups.

For v I make it a bit richer. I substitute 1 cup of whipping cream for half the milk, I use the 1/2 cup of sugar and during the time he was sick I used up to four 
eggs.  I also find I'm baking even the individual cups for the full hour, otherwise it never wants to set.  I make custard weekly, sometimes several times. It's good to have on hand. It dresses up well with fruit. We've even experimented caramelizing sugar on top with a kitchen torch. 


In bocca al lupo. m & v



3 comments: