Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Needle and Thread




I love to hold a needle and thread in my hands.  I love the whir of the sewing machine and watching the needle punch through fabric with precision, leaving the trail of evenly spaced stitches in its wake.  My grandmother took up needle and thread and supported her family through the last Great Depression and I wish I could do that for my family during this new depression we're experiencing.
She made all of my clothes until I learned to sew in high school.  They were so lovely, of course I never fully appreciated them, though I did realize how beautiful they were, and how unique.  Twice a year we had the fittings. Hot and muggy August evenings before the start of school I had to try on every garment still bristling with pins. I stood patiently on a chair as she measured hems and adjusted armholes and collars, my family surrounding us in the living room of her tiny apartment. The entire tableau repeated mid-winter for my spring wardrobe.  I must admit that I inherited her attention to detail and technique.  Sewing was an exercise in focused attention with no distraction allowed or tolerated. Although I spent nearly every weekend and holiday with my grandmother, I was never with her while my wardrobe was under construction.  I still consider sewing a solitary pursuit.  
Although I don't presently sew my own clothing I still love to make things out of fabric with needle and thread.
In bocca al lupo. m


4 comments:

  1. Lovely! Very mood-setting, I can almost smell the warmth of fabric being pressed into shape, feel the mild dizziness I endured when standing on the table top while my mother pinned the hem of my skirts into place.//And then the pay-off: that gorgeous quilt. I hope someone with lots of money offers you what it's worth - if you can bear to sell it! m-e

    ReplyDelete
  2. And always the hidden and forgotten pin in the seam just waiting for the proper moment to strike! Thank you, so much. mgb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I somehow missed this. Beautifully worded, beautiful photos to go with it. Such a talent you have in so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I wish I could photograph memories. m

    ReplyDelete